- Cogburn, D. L. (2017). Transnational Advocacy Networks in the Information Society: Partners or Pawns? New York, New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Coskuntuncel, Aras. 2016. “Privatization of Governance, Delegated Censorship, and Hegemony in the Digital Era: The Case of Turkey.” Journalism Studies, doi:10.1080/1461670X.2016.1197045
- Nanette Levinson (with Jennifer Ellis, Derrick Cogburn, Marilyn Arnone). “Developing and Evaluating an Accessible Cyberteaching Training (ACT) Program for Faculty via a Virtual Center for Teaching and Learning “, in Proceedings of 48th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, IEEE Computer Society Press, January 2015.
- Nanette Levinson (with J. Ellis, M. Arnone, D. Cogburn). “Evaluating the Role of Face-to-Face Residencies in Cross-National, Accessible Cyberlearning,” in Proceedings of 47th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, IEEE Computer Society Press, January 2014.
- Laura DeNardis, “e-Government Acquisition Processes in the US, EU, India, and Japan,” National Academy of Sciences (NAS) Sponsored Research Report for NAS project “Intellectual Property Management in Standard-Setting Processes,” September 2012.
- Montgomery, K., Chester, J., Grier, S., & Dorfman, L. The New Threat of Digital Marketing. Pediatric Clinics of North American, June 2012, Vol. 59, No. 3: 659-75, viii.
- Nanette Levinson (with D. Cogburn). “Teaching Globalization, Globally: A Seven-Year Case Study of South Africa-US Virtual Teams,” Information Technologies and International Development, Spring 2008, Vol. 4, No. 3: 75–88.
- Montgomery, K. (2007). Generation Digital: Politics, Commerce, and Childhood in the Age of the Internet. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT Press.
- Derrick Cogburn. “Inclusive Internet Governance: Enhancing Multistakeholder Participation Through Geographically Distributed Policy Collaboratories,” in Global Multistakeholder Diplomacy. Eds. Kurbalija and Katrandjiev. Malta/Geneva, 2006.
- Derrick Cogburn. “Partners or Pawns? The Impact of Elite Decision-Making and Epistemic Communities in Global Information Policy on Developing Countries and Transnational Civil Society,” Knowledge, Technology, Politics, Summer 2005.
- Montgomery, K., Gottlieb-Robles, B., & Larson, G.O. (2004). Youth as E-Citizens: Engaging the Digital Generation. Special Report for the Center for Social Media, School of Communication, American University.
- Montgomery, K. (1989). Target: Prime Time - Advocacy Groups and the Struggle Over Entertainment Television. Oxford, England, United Kingdom: Oxford University Press.
- Laura DeNardis quoted in Europe faces off American technology companies over user data: Who will win? (Australian Broadcasting Corporation, 5/25/18)
- Aram Sinnreich authors What Spotify’s Alarming R. Kelly Censorship Means for the Future of the Internet (The Daily Beast, 5/11/18)
- Derrick Cogburn interview at Cyber Governance and Policy Center event (Cyber Governance and Policy Center, University of Oklahoma, 12/1/2017)
- Derrick Cogburn quoted in Disabled? There's (more than one) app for that (NPR 's Marketplace, 6/2/2016)
- Derrick Cogburn quoted in What's behind Apple's Didi investment? (NPR 's Marketplace, 5/13/2016)
- Derrick Cogburn quoted in Reflections on inclusive and accessible learning (Business World Online, 5/12/2015)
- Derrick Cogburn quoted in From accessible to inclusive education for the differently abled (Business World Online, 1/27/2015)
- Derrick Cogburn quoted in Inclusive education – a focus on Malaysia (Daily Express, 9/28/2014)
- Derrick Cogburn radio interview, Moving beyond the social stigma attached to disability (BFM 89.9, 8/25/2014)
- Derrick Cogburn quoted in Enabling pathways for the disabled (The Star Online, 8/17/2014)
- Derrick Cogburn quoted in Malaysian Education Ministry working on inclusive education for students with disabilities (Global Accessibility News, 8/13/2014)
- Derrick Cogburn quoted in Ministry working on inclusive education for disabled students (The Star Online, 8/13/2014)
- Derrick Cogburn quoted in Enabling Pathways for the Disabled (The Star Online, 08/17/2014)
United Nations Conference Side Event on "Data, Disability and Development" - June 13, 2018
Co-Sponsored by the Internet Governance Lab
"Empowering Citizenship in Our Shared Digital Future" Conference - April 3, 2018
Hosted at American University (AU) and co-organized by Internet Governance Lab Faculty Fellow Andrii Paziuk and the AU Washington College of Law
"Borders and Bits" Roundtable by Professor Jennifer Daskal - January 24, 2018
Hosted at American University as part of the Internet Governance Lab's Roundtable Series
Data Hygiene Clinic - October 13, 2017
Hosted at American University by the Internet Governance Lab in collaboration with the Freedom of the Press Foundation, the Center for Media and Social Impact, and the Internet Society Washington, D.C. Chapter
Recap Summary: Data Hygiene Clinic
Lab Scholars Present Research at 68th Annual International Communications Association Conference - May 24-28, 2018
Faculty Fellows Dr. Patricia Aufderheide and Dr. Aram Sinnreich present papers on weaponizing intellectual property, copyright and fair use, censorship and free speech, and multistakeholder governance.
Student Dissertation Research
PhD student Erica Diya Basu won the Third Top Student Paper Award at the 2018 International Communications Association Conference for her paper Public Diplomacy’s Digital Turn, a qualitative case study of the U.S. Embassy India’s 2015 digital diplomacy campaign on climate change.
Accessibility, privacy, speech, weaponizing IP; Online Accessibility Gov (Derrick); Privacy-Kathryn Montgomery‘s work on wearables and youth social media policy; censorship/free speech; intellectual property- Pat Aufderheide- lead and she has a description of the program and can tell you what articles and books and events to include.